Tuesday, July 8, 2008

staying afloat of Independence Day

The fourth of July has always been Autumn's favorite holiday and this year I got a glimpse as to why that might be. Independence Day is a good time. This year for the holiday, Dave, Mo, Jewel, Christy, and I drove out to the Spiral Jetty (after getting lost for awhile and hitting up every single gas station between here and timbucktoo) to float in the Great Salt Lake. I have always been curious as to what it would feel like and wondered if all the rumors about how bouyant you are were really true. Well it turns out that everyone was telling the truth. It is pretty crazy how much salt is in that dang lake. I looked so awkward trying to get back up on my feet because I could barely push them down (but let's be honest I'm just an awkward person anyways so it's not far from my normal behavior). It's a pretty crazy sensation. Poor Dave ended up driving his car but little did we know that a low-to-the-ground beemer (BMW) wasn't the best choice in vehicles. There was so many rocks that we ended up just turning up the radio because it was painful to hear. I think that his car is OK now but I felt horrible. I would say that it was worth it overall though (he might not agree). So here's a pic of the Spiral Jetty....

Then we went here for dinner for big fat burgers...
Next, we hit up the fireworks near Claude's house... And finally we shot off our own cool fireworks and played a little Guitar Hero. It was one of the best fourth of Julys I have ever had. If we would have hit up the BBQ it would have been perfect. Happy Independence Day to everyone...4 days late!

1 comment:

Liz said...

Claire - I am so proud of you! So many people live all these years in UT and never even know that the Spiral Jetty exists. I went out there with a group of Art Ed students when I was at BYU and you are right. It is way out in Timbucktu. But it is fun and beautiful and now you can say that you have seen one of the most famous artworks in the Middle of Nowhere, UT!