Wednesday, June 4, 2008

And the hits just keep on coming



(Note: I was NOT smiling and enjoying the rain like this girl...nor did I have a rain jacket)

Wow, today has been the worst and funniest day of my life (less on the funny, more on the worst...)! So last week or so I got a flat tire and recruited Nathan to help me change the dang tire (okay, okay so I just watched while he did it for me!) and have been MEANING to take it to a tire shop to get the tire patched in case another tire were to go flat. But I have been really busy and don't get off work until after 5 and had all my belongings in my trunk so I wanted to wait until I had a place to live before getting the tire patched. Poor decision! And I was just thinking this morning, "Ok, i NEED to get that taken care of because what if some freak accident were to happen and I don't have a tire to put on my car?"


Well, the unexpected finally happened today! During my volunteer hours this morning I left to go get some coconut and evaporated milk so that some of the patients could practice cooking cakes today and noticed that my freakin tire had EXPLODED! I suspect foul play. Seriously the tire was BAD--unrepairable. It wasn't like the flat tire in my trunk that just had a slow leak; this tire was a complete goner. So I sorta panicked because I didn't know what to do because my only current option was to replace my flat tire with a FLAT tire. Umm....awesome. So I called my bestest friend Amy to come save the day. I was hoping to just borrow her spare tire and drive over to Big O Tires to get my "spare" repaired and then give her tire back to her. But then I quickly found out that huge JEEP tires do NOT fit on my tiny ghetto car! I'm sure the rest of you are not surprised by this, but being the untechinal and unmechanical person that I am, I had no clue. So Amy had to drive me over to Big O so that I could get a temporary donut in order to make it from IHC to Big O...the only problem was that they were fresh out of donut tires. I'm sorry, but shouldn't a shop that specializes in ONLY selling tires, i don't know, SELL TIRES?!?! The guy there rounded me up a used tire that he said I could borrow and bring back just to get my car over there. So I went BACK to IHC to change my tire (meanwhile it was pouring down rain so it was AWESOME!) and go inside to call security to come help me. And quickly found out that they apparently can not help people change tires but they did offer to blow up my flat tire enough to make it to a tire shop. See the only problem with THAT is that, like I mentioned earlier, my tire has EXPLODED. There was no way that a little air was going to miracuously get the tire to go anywhere. I then went BACK out in the pouring rain and played my damsel in distress card until this super nice guy offered to help me change the tire...or should I say attempt to change my tire. See, the guys at Big O actually gave me a tire that didn't fit my car. Poor guy was in a huge hurry too and in super nice clothing but was kneeling on the dirty ground and getting soaked from the rain. It was so embarrassing and I felt really bad.


After we realized that the tire was never going to fit, he drove me BACK over to Big O (starting to see a pattern yet??) so that they could help me. So me and some random employee there drive BACK to IHC to get my "spare" flat tire from the trunk, the exploded tire, and the tire I borrowed to see if they could at least patch one of them. They were able to patch the flat spare tire but the other tire apparently had a giganormous hole in it (how exactly that happens I'm not sure) so it had to be left behind. Then Mr. Big O drives me BACK for the last time to IHC, changes my tire, and I'm on my merry way. And the best part of all is that he didn't change me a DIME! I couldn't believe it...that is some serious customer service. I was terrified that my other tire would pop on the way back to work and I would be back in the same perdictament.


The whole thing was just embarrassing and frustrating. It was funny too because this other kid offered earlier to change my tire when I first went outside and noticed that it was flat. And I was like, "Umm....thanks that would be great, but the only problem is that my spare is flat too!" He looked at me like I was the biggest moron in the world. Actually I'm sure he was just thinking "typical girl!" Oh well, the moral of this story is when you get a flat take care of getting it patched or a new one ASAP. Do NOT wait until you have a flat tire to repair your flat tire! 2 flat tires does Not = a filled tire. I learned that one the hard way.


1 comment:

The Romney Family said...

Wait, now I'm confused. 2 flat tires does NOT equal one filled tire?? Are you sure you got that right? lol Today was the funniest! I am SO sorry it had to happen to you, but come on, you've got to admit--it's a great addition to the Amy-Claire collection of awful, embarrassing, and oh-so-typically female car stories!!! Contrary to popular belief, baking soda is NOT the cure-all for any and all battery problems!!!! Ahh!! I love you!