Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Volunteering is FUN


To apply to Grad school in Occupational Therapy requires a minimum of 50 volunteer hours with a certified OT. After first avoiding doing the hours and then having a bad attitude about it, I finally started volunteering my services at IHC Utah Valley Regional last week and am really loving it. I guess I finally found a job or calling in life that I would enjoy vs. just biding my time, watching the clock until I can escape from my job. I guess I mostly just love the patients and feeling like you are actually helping someone. I'm sorry but sitting at a computer all day starring mindlessly into space does NOT benefit society, yourself, or ANYONE!
My favorite patient is a guy named Doug. He is so optimistic and hardworking and FUNNY! He always teases me for working for free and it just makes working with him so much fun. I tell him that I only work for free so that I can see him every day. He asked me on Monday what La Quinta is spanish for? I told him that I had no clue and he quickly said, "It's spanish for next to Denny's!" ha ha so funny but SO TRUE! He's cute too because he's learning to walk again, 4 years later after having a stroke. I guess that they are trying out this new treatment on him that is way expensive but is working. He said that when he took his first step 3 days ago that he about cried....and then he said that his wife cried too because of the COST! ha ha He's amazing. I hope that I can have such a positive attitude if I'm ever stuck going to Rehab.
Another great patient is Chuck. He's so crazy but so fun. He actually got to go home on Monday with his family so I won't be seeing him anymore. My favorite thing about Chuck is that you have to watch him 24-7 or he will cheat at every activity. He HATES using his left hand (the affected side of his body) to do anything so he will start talking to you like crazy so that you will forget to watch him and he can switch sides on you. Nice try Chuck but you STILL have to do the exercises--even if you have to go back and redue everything. tricky guy.
We also got the funniest and sweetest new patient yesterday. He has the cutest laugh you will ever hear and thinks everything is hilarious. He just keeps saying "if you would have told me 5 days ago that I would be stuck doing little kid activities, I would have laughed in your face!" And then he starts laughing at himself because he has really poor coordination right now. I love him. Who would have known that I would LOVE working with old people. I have always been TERRIFIED of them before now. Everyone should volunteer..it's good fun.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

SO awesome that you are doing this. I can just see you there, and I am sure that you are awesome at it. Fun stories, can't wait to hear some more! I'm so glad you have found a job you love!!